The MP Life

Thursday, April 06, 2006

What is there not to love about tents?


I built Mariano's first "tent house" today. He wanted a front door, but I told him he'd have to just pretend. Apparently there's a loading dock there because he's moved in quite quickly and there's really not much room for any visitors, so who really needs a front door anyhow?? =)

So what's the deal about tents? I remember making hundreds over the years--mostly in our living room with the help of a wooden chair and the pillows from the sofa. Of course this one is using that classic style: the wooden rocking chair makes a nice side wall.

I'm thinking that we feel comfortable sometimes by the close sides of friendly blanket-tent. It's a smaller universe there: a place that is manageable and intimate. We can escape the crazy world without having to leave home and hide from all sorts of things--in Mariano's case, dinner, Mommy, and the cats. As we get bigger, so do the things that make us want to escape. Oh, and our tents get bigger too.

It reminds me of that wonderful scene in Harry Potter: Goblet of Fire. On the outside, the tents in the field look like they can hold 3 people max. When you enter, an entire house exists with a kitchen, rooms, etc. Harry walks through and, startled with the sight in front of him, says, "I love magic." Yes, that's what we're looking for!

Mariano asked me to come inside and join him. I'm sorry that I'm too big for this one. However, his birthday is coming up and he's invited two friends over to play. He's asked if I can build one large enough for the three of them. Maybe we'll use the bookshelf to be safe . . . and maybe I'll just have to test it out myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home