The MP Life

Saturday, April 08, 2006

America vs. Italy

"The Americans live to work and the Italians work to live."

This might be the very thing that tips the scales in favor of leaving the U.S. I did not understand that quotation my first time in Rome. I had saved our money for several months to take the family to Italy for 2 weeks and we stayed in the apartment of Massimo's aunt. Everyday the stores in the neighborhood would close for lunch and not open up again until 3:00 or later. It drove me crazy! I didn't come all that distance to take a nap every day!!! Massimo, meanwhile, was loving life. He was "home."

After many trips back to Rome, Ortona, and other cities, I've come to really appreciate that mindset. A shop closes down so the employees can go home and eat lunch and rest. In Ortona, families were out walking around at 10:30 p.m. after dinner and gelato. In Siena, it was New Year's Day and hundreds of people were out in the town center, yet very few stores were open for business. Here were tons of people out and about, but included in those were the store owners! They didn't want to be at work and miss out on the fun either. Many Italians take the entire month of August off for holiday. We spent our first anniversary in Rome and called 15 restaurants before we finally found one that would be open on Aug. 3! =)

I wonder if I can do that--change my very thinking process. I wonder if I can slow down enough to eat, take a nap, and live.

1 Comments:

Blogger VandaQC said...

The good things of different country!!!Everyone learn something new about the others to better himself!
Il bello delle differenze dei paesi!Ognuno impara qualcosa dagli altri per migliorarsi!
http://lafavoladiunsogno.blogspot.com/

2:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home