The MP Life

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Four year olds getting married

I was driving Mariano and his friend home from preschool today. As usual, I try to get him in the habit of sharing his day's details with me.

"Did you have fun at school today?"
"Yeah," Mariano says.
"What did you do?"
"I played, ate snacks, and colored."
"Very fun, sweetie," so far this is standard fare. "Who did you play with?"
"Ally."
Hmm, this in new. He usually plays with "the guys" or Isabella, the little Italian goddess who he absolutely adored last year.
"Really? That's so nice. I'm glad Ally is your friend."
"Yeah," he says casually. "I married Ally today."

HUGE pause.

I have never heard him use that word before! I guess it was just a matter of time. The little girls at preschool have been plotting their wedding days since the moment they turned three. I have tried to shield Mariano from the pressures of matrimony for as long as possible.

At this point Luca, the friend pipes in. "Yeah, I married Lola today."

The preschool has turned into a Las Vegas chapel! I'm trying to picture the teachers dressed as Elvis Presley.

Later, Matthew jumps in the car and we're on our way to eat Chinese. Mariano fills him in on the exciting day.

"Matt, I married Ally today."
Matt does my same double take and laughs.
"You did? Who married you?"
"Ally."
I've entered a skit close to "Who's On First?"
"No, I mean who married you and Ally together? Was it a priest or a judge . . ."
Mariano looks at Matt as if he's nuts. The question just doesn't make sense to him.
Matt tries a different angle: "Well, HOW did you and Ally get married?"
"I asked her to sit next to me. And she did."

Now the whole car is laughing.
"You're going to end up with a lot of wives, if that's how it works!" Matt says.
"Yeah," Mariano admits.

So, I missed Mariano's wedding today. But at least I saved a TON of money on the rehearsal dinner! =)

1 Comments:

Blogger Sabz said...

OMG!!! I just laughed for like 5 minutes!! That is sooo cute!!

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home